HOMEMADE GINGER ALE
Peeling ginger root is a tedious task, but an important step in ensuring your ginger syrup has a deep flavor. Trust me, I tried making it without peeling it a few times to check, and the result was just never as good.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
6-inch piece of ginger root
8 cups water
Juice of one lemon
½ cup sugar
HOW TO MAKE IT:
1. First, you will need to make your ginger syrup. Peel and chop ginger into small cubes about ¼ inch in size
2. In a medium sized saucepan, combine ginger pieces and water.
3. Simmer on low for 45 minutes, watching your pot carefully to ensure that all the water does not evaporate.
4. Cover, and let sit for an additional 25 minutes.
5. Strain mixture using a colander or cheesecloth. You can reserve the ginger pieces for use in ginger tea at a later time, but they don’t have enough flavor to be used to make ginger syrup a second time.
6. Add the ginger liquid back into the saucepan from earlier, and add sugar and lemon juice. Mix thoroughly and frequently so that sugar does not sit in the bottom of the pot and burn. Simmer until sugar is fully dissolved, about 7 minutes.
7. Chill mixture in refrigerator until completely cool.
8. Mix syrup with sparkling water at a 1:1 ratio.